Warehouse storage is a popular logistics service used by many businesses. Whether a business is struggling for storage space or looking to improve their supply chain, there are many reasons for using warehouse storage. If you are unfamiliar with warehouse storage, you may have a question or two. We’ve got answers to the most common questions below.
What is warehousing?
Warehousing is the process of storing physical inventory inside a warehouse facility. Warehousing is used by a range of businesses to temporarily store bulk inventory ready for sale or distribution.
What is a warehouse storage facility?
A warehouse storage facility is the premises that specialise in storing items. A warehouse facility will have the proper handling and storage equipment, alongside trained personnel. Warehouse facilities are commercial premises for storing large quantities of items.
Warehouse storage facilities are usually large. Due to the size, most facilities will be located in either suburban or city outskirts. Warehousing is a temporary stage within the supply chain, with items only being stored for the short term.
What is a secure storage facility?
A secure storage facility will provide equipment, inspections, and procedures to ensure all items are safe and secure. A secure storage facility will operate 24/7 alarm and camera systems, alongside quality certifications.
What do you mean by warehouse storage solutions?
Warehouse and pallet storage solutions are designed to store bulk inventory safely and securely. A warehouse storage facility will include a range of storage structures and methods for storing a wide range of items, including free-standing and racked storage.
What companies need warehouse space?
Many companies within a range of industries can benefit from warehouse space. Industries such as e-commerce, automotive, agriculture, construction, cargo, and any other heavy industries can all benefit from using warehouse storage.
Check out these 7 benefits of using warehouse storage
What should I look for when selecting a warehouse service?
Here are some tips you should consider when choosing a warehouse service to outsource storage:
- Customer service – you want to build a positive relationship with your warehouse storage provider.
- Check for any additional costs that may be involved – always check your quotes to make sure costs such as labour and transport are included.
- Size and layout of the facility – check to see whether the warehouse has adequate storage for your items and whether the storage layout can meet your operational needs.
- Location – where is the location of the warehouse? Is it near enough to ensure supply chain efficiency? Will your items have to travel far as this can increase costs?
- Security and insurance – how secure is the warehouse facility? What systems do they have in place to protect your goods? Is the warehouse insured to cover any possible item damage or theft?
- Value-added services – what other services does your warehouse storage provider offer? Are they a third-party logistics company that offers a range of other logistics services you could benefit from?
Warehousing and supply chain
What is a warehouse in supply chain management?
In supply chain management, a warehouse is a facility for the safe and secure storage of any physical inventory used for distribution or sale. Warehouses provide bulk temporary and centralised storage locations, ready for shipping and distribution to retailers or the end consumer.
What is the role of warehousing in supply chain management?
Warehousing plays a crucial and strategic role in supply chain management. Warehousing allows for products to be securely stored, efficiently packaged, and efficiently distributed. Warehousing allows for consolidated inventory to be stored in a single location, making the supply chain more efficient.
Is it possible to have a supply chain without a warehouse?
Yes, you can have a supply chain without a warehouse. However, warehouses allow for improved efficiency, bulk storage, and secure handling and storage. Using warehouses in the supply chain helps consolidate inventory ready for shipment, reducing transport costs, and value-added service.
Why warehousing service is important in logistics?
Warehousing services form a vital role in logistics. Using warehousing services in logistics allows for goods to be stored in a single location, making it easier for organising and distribution of items or stock.
Warehousing services are also important in logistics as it helps with timely deliveries of items or stock, with optimised distribution. Warehouses can also be used for the packing of items ready for distribution and delivery.
What is storage space in warehouses?
Storage space in warehouses is the area used for safely and securely storing items. Storage space can include floor or racking storage. Storage areas will account for most of the space inside a warehouse.
What are the 5 methods of storing goods in a warehouse?
The 5 methods for storing goods in a warehouse are:
- Rack shelves
- Mezzanine racks
- Roll racks
- Cantilever racks
- Pallet racks
How do warehouse companies store goods?
There are several methods of storing goods in a warehouse. These include:
- Floor stacking – items are stacked on the floor to maximise space. Items can be stacked on top of one another.
- Pallet racking – storing pallet shipments on specially designed racking. Pallets can be stacked on multiple levels.
- Free standing – storing or stacking items without any fixed support. Very similar to floor stacking.
- Mezzanine or raised storage – provides additional storage space on additional levels.
What are heavy-duty storage racks?
Heavy-duty storage racks are designed specifically for safely storing heavy objects. Heavy-duty storage racks must be stable and robust to withstand the weight of heavy objects. Providing the recommended weight is not exceeded, heavy-duty storage racks can hold very heavy weights.
What are shelf and rack storage systems?
Both shelf and rack storage systems are used within warehouse storage. Shelf storage systems use shelves to store items at different heights. Shelf storage can be used for small and lighter weights that are easily accessible by hand.
Racking systems are designed for more heavy-duty storage and can withstand much heavier weights. Racked storage usually involved stacking items that are deeper and higher than any shelving system. Racked storage usually requires handling machinery, such as a forklift, for accessing loads.
How do I choose the right warehouse storage rack?
The chosen method of storing your items will depend on the size, weight and quantity. Large and heavy shipments may be stacked on free-standing stacking, or on the floor. Pallet shipments may utilise storage racks. Your warehouse storage provider should choose the best storage rack depending on your needs.
Inventory management and control
What is inventory control in a warehouse?
Inventory control in a warehouse is a process of inventory management that involves checking the stock levels of stored inventory. Inventory control also encompasses the arrival and departure of items in a warehouse.
How to keep track of inventory in a warehouse?
Keeping track of all the inventory that is stored in a warehouse is a significant task for any warehouse operative. A warehouse management system can be used to make tracking inventory much simpler. Other methods can also be used for improved reliability and efficiency:
- Implement tracking
- Inventory management software
- Monitor product or customer orders
- Floor plan and layout
- Monitor inventory levels
What do you use to organise a warehouse?
There are many different tools and methods to help organise a warehouse, including the layout and inventory management software. Other tools and methods include:
- Labelling and signage systems
- Storing similar items together
- Utilise the storage space available
- Improved communication with employees
- Implementing picking and packing technology
- Minimising errors and monitoring inventory in real time
- Keeping facilities clean and tidy
What are the functions of material handling?
Material handling involves moving, protecting, and storing products and materials throughout the supply chain. Material handling happens throughout every stage of the supply chain. It uses both humans and machines to move, store, and protect items throughout the supply chain.
What are the different types of material handling systems?
There are different types of material handling systems, including:
- Handling and storage equipment, such as shelving and racks.
- Bulk handling equipment, such as conveyor belts and hoppers.
- Industrial trucks, such as forklifts and dollies.
- Engineered systems, such as automated storage and retrieval systems.
What is the importance of material handling in logistics?
Material handling is important in logistics as it helps improve efficiency. Material handling also improves the safety of transporting goods and helps streamline logistics activities. In some cases, material handling can also optimise space.
What is the difference between a cold chain and a warehouse?
Cold chain is the process of temperature control for perishable goods. Cold chain processes ensure such perishable items reach the end consumer in perfect condition. This usually happens in a cold storage facility, by maintaining goods at the correct temperature.
Cold chain or cold storage facilities will use temperature-controlled systems to maintain the correct temperature. Warehouses are similar but will not specialise in cold chain operations. A warehouse will focus on storing non-perishable goods.
What is a break bulk warehouse?
A break bulk warehouse specialises in transporting items individually as opposed to in bulk. Items can be shipped in boxes, bags, crates, or barrels as opposed to large and bulk pallet shipments. Cargo shipments may arrive in bulk but are then split and stored in a warehouse.
Third-party logistics and warehousing
What is third-party logistics?
Third-party logistics involves outsourcing your logistics needs to a specialised or experienced third-party business. A third-party logistics provider, such as Nu Vision Logistics, will offer a range of services for fulfilling a company’s logistics requirements.
What are the pros and cons of hiring third-party logistics firms?
Hiring a third-party logistics firm provides several pros and cons you should consider.
The pros include:
- Fulfilling your distribution and inventory management
- A specialists and experienced company providing their expertise
- Helps you to save money in the long run
- May offer other services, such as courier and delivery
The cons include:
- A bad service can reflect negatively on your business
- Can cost to get your 3PL set up to begin with
- Spending time to find a 3PL you can trust
- No control over the 3PL processes
What do 3PL warehouse companies actually do?
A third-party logistics company (3PL) is a provider of both warehouse storage and other logistics services. A 3PL uses multiple services to help improve the supply chain of its customers. Services a 3PL can offer include:
- Courier services
- Order fulfilment
- Pallet distribution and delivery
- Shipping coordination
- Pick and pack
- Same-day and next-day delivery
How is warehouse storage cost calculated?
Warehouse storage costs can be calculated by multiplying the rental rate per square by the square space you need. You can also get in touch with warehouse storage providers to obtain a quote.
Contacting a warehouse provider and asking for a quote will provide you with a much more accurate cost.
Warehouse storage has become a valuable part of many business’s supply chain. Helping to streamline processes and improve efficiency, warehouse storage provides many benefits. We hope that we answered your questions on warehouse storage so you can make the most of improving your business’s processes.